[Pl-reading-group] PL seminars on Wednesdays (fwd)

Richard West richwest at cs.bu.edu
Thu Mar 19 09:05:56 EDT 2009

I thought this was a well-presented talk yesterday, with a pretty clear
explanation of the ATS specifics. Now that I've seen several talks from
the PL group on ways to address type semantics of system and library calls
(e.g., mmap and fork) I think I realize where the key issues are from a
safe programming perspective.

For example, with mmap(), a systems programmer is probably less interested
in getting the flag settings correct but more interested in making sure
a mapped file is not being modified uncontrollably via another channel.
Specifically, if one process mmaps a file and another process is using
read/write system calls on a file descriptor to the same file then the
contents of what is mmaped may be changed in an ad hoc manner.

So, what is the issue with safety of system calls and libraries?

I really think it comes down to the complex interaction of these calls
rather than any one individual call. Now, that may sound depressing since
we want to do more than tighten up the typing rules on an individual
function and, preferably, define ways to avoid unexpected side-effects
when we combine function calls.

Another classic example would be if we issued a malloc call within a
signal handler. Individually, sigaction() and malloc() might have
well-defined types but then how do we address the problem of re-entrancy
on heap data structures as manipulated by the malloc call itself if it is
invoked asynchronously? Similarly, what if we try to acquire a lock using
some mutex-acquisition call from within a signal handler, when that lock
is already held? It seems to me we need some control-flow analysis here.

Rich.